Why AvaSure Symposium 2018?
Learn more about several rigorous IRB-approved studies that have been completed this year on several aspects of video monitoring.
Hear stories from healthcare organizations on best practices as it relates to quality improvement.
Engaging discussions on how current events and trends in healthcare are leading to innovative practices in video monitoring.
“We are proud to again have a roster of nationally known keynoters to inspire attendees to push the boundaries of what’s possible with continuous virtual patient monitoring.” Brad Playford, CEO AvaSure
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3, 2018
PreSymposium Activities & Registration
1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Advanced Monitor Tech Training
For monitor tech super-users to take their skills to the next level and bring back what they’ve learned. Will cover topics such as:
Recognizing escalating aggressive behaviors early, verbal de-escalation techniques, geriatric sensitivity, best practices for hand-offs, documentation that promotes improvements, focus groups, and more!
Talk with an expert at our open roundtable discussions covering topics such as:
Lessons learned from recent implementations, best practices for Hub & Spoke multi-site models, using ORNA to track workplace safety events, and how to get published.
Welcome to Grand Rapids!
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Join us for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. Enjoy networking and the view of the Grand River.
THURSDAY OCTOBER 4, 2018
Breakfast & Registration
7:00 am – 8:00 am
Opening Remarks & Keynote Speaker
Host and creator of the hit show What Would You Do?, author and award winning broadcast journalist.
9:30 am – 9:50 am
9:50 am – 11:00 am
11:00 am – 11:20 am
11:20 am – 12:30 pm
Lunch Break & Poster Presentations
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
1:30 pm – 2:40 pm
2:40 pm – 3:00 pm
3:00 pm – 4:15 pm
Ingrid Chesleck, MPA, RN
Chief Clinical Operations Officer & Chief Nursing Officer at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital.
Art Prize Walking Tour
An evening walking tour exploring ArtPrize and downtown Grand Rapids!
FRIDAY OCTOBER 5, 2018
Breakfast & Registration
7:00 am – 8:00 am
Critically acclaimed author and journalist.
9:30 am – 9:50 am
9:50 am – 11:00 am
Lunch & Networking Break
11:00 am – 11:50 am
Closing Keynote Speaker
11:50 am – 1:00 pm
President & CEO of the Network for Excellence in Health Innovation.
AvaSure Corporate Headquarters Tour
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Learn more about several rigorous IRB-approved studies that have been completed this year on several aspects of video monitoring including:
- A program evaluation of falls and observer costs using rigorous statistical analysis.
- The latest findings from a hospital who validated their tool for assessing nurse engagement as it relates to the impact of video monitoring for patient safety use.
Healthcare organizations will share best practices as it relates to quality improvement, covering topics such as:
- “New kids on the block” presenters who have implemented AvaSys since last year’s symposium applying novel ideas they learned and utilizing the latest ORNA tools to reach financial and safety goals faster than ever.
- Healthcare leaders, who have years of experience and video monitoring expansions, will share what major and minor changes they have made towards continuous process improvement and sustained results.
- Organizations will share how video monitoring impacts job satisfaction of bedside caregivers, and the importance of culture change as part of a successful implementation.
- Magnet recognized hospitals will speak on how to gain support from staff and physicians and how to increase utilization.
Engaging discussions on how current events and trends in healthcare are leading to innovative practices in video monitoring. Sessions will include:
- A panel of healthcare leaders, including an expert on room architecture, will share their experience using video monitoring for suicide ideation including regulatory visits.
- How the cooperation between hospitals within a larger system multi-site can lead to successful hub and spoke models of video monitoring.
- How ORNA, AvaSure’s database, can help to provide otherwise unreported data on workplace violence – physical and verbal abuse and even near misses – using an escalation scale as patient selection criteria.
- How hospitals are monitoring patients to prevent or be aware of illicit drug use in the patient room as well as monitoring family dynamics for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome.
- Healthcare organizations will share how video monitoring provides overnight respite for parents of pediatric patients, helps to keep boarded patients safe in the emergency department and the success of video monitoring in rehabilitation settings.
Applications for AvaPrize and Poster Presenters are still available. We would love for you to participate at the AvaSure Symposium!
Any poster presenter who is accepted will be reimbursed for travel and a two-night stay at the symposium host hotel during the event.
- Must be submitted online.
- Must not exceed 500 words.
- If your abstract is accepted, you will need to respond to the invitation by the designated date in the acceptance email.
- Do not use acronyms unless they are spelled out initially; this includes titles.
- Be sure to use spell check prior to your abstract submission.
- Those who have been accepted will be expected to submit their final presentation by September 21. AvaSure will pay for and print posters if files are received by September 21.
- If you’ve presented your poster at another event, you can still submit to present the same poster at the symposium.
- Deadline poster presenter submissions is August 3.
AvaSure’s healthcare awards program, AvaPrize, honors individuals and organizations that have advanced patient and staff safety, eased the working lives of nurses and achieved new efficiencies in care delivery. The winners will together represent a continuing evolution in the role of video monitoring as it becomes a vital tool in patient care and staff development throughout a healthcare organization.
This year our award categories include:
- Safety Net: This organization demonstrates the most complete AvaSys program.
- Path to Zero: This organization has the most impressive fall reduction program centered around video monitoring.
- Hub and Spoke: This organization has the most efficient use of AvaSys by multi-site organizations using a single remote central observation center.
- Super Star Monitor Tech: This individual consistently goes above and beyond to help measure success and uphold effective use of AvaSys.
A presentation of the winners will take place at the Symposium Welcome Reception the evening of Wednesday, October 3. They also will be promoted and highlighted in a press release.
A representative for the winning organization/individual must be in attendance to be a recipient of the award.
NOMINATION DEADLINE EXTENDED! DUE MONDAY, JULY 16.
Experience Grand Rapids
The Amway Grand Hotel is our partner hotel for the 2018 AvaSure Symposium. As the premier AAA Four-Diamond hotel in West Michigan, the Amway Grand Plaza, blends the elegant history of the 1920s Pantlind Hotel with modern amenities of today. This is an icon of the Grand Rapids skyline.
AvaSure has secured a block of guest rooms at a discounted rate of $189+tax, which can be reserved through the registration process. Any questions about hotel reservations please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
THINGS TO DO
AvaSure welcomes you to Grand Rapids, Michigan! Grand Rapids was ranked one of The New York Times 52 Places to Go in 2016. Upon arrival, it’s easy to see why Grand Rapids continuously ranks as a top travel destination. Whether you’re looking for arts & culture, outdoor activities or delicious culinary experiences Grand Rapids has something for everyone.
It is recommended those who are traveling by air should fly into the award winning Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR). This is the primary airport of Grand Rapids. The airport is just a 15-20 minute car ride from downtown Grand Rapids, Amway Grand Plaza Hotel and the DeVos Place Convention Center.
Downtown Grand Rapids is easily accessible no matter what direction you’re driving in from. For anyone coming from the north or south on 131, take the Pearl Street Exit and those from the east or west via 1-96 will take the Ottawa St/Downtown Exit. This will take you to the heart of downtown Grand Rapids.
What Others Are Saying…
Don’t just take our word for it. Hear what past AvaSure Symposium attendees are saying!
The first AvaSure Symposium was a first rate experience. One always imagines that when attending an inaugural meeting, that you could expect a few glitches, but this team was incredible and the symposium gave me such inspiration that I would definitely make this an annual event to attend.
– Moschelle Billingsley MSN RN CNOR
During the symposium, it was instilled in my mind that when there is one camera not in use, it meant that there is one more patient who is not being watched and kept safe. Today, I can proudly say that we have gone from an average 50% utilization to 100% with a waiting list AND staff engagement has improved!
– 2017 AvaSure Symposium Attendee
The symposium was a phenomenal event to attend for our future at Phoebe with AvaSys. The informative speakers/sessions were exactly what our team needed to learn best practices from other organizations that had been through implementation. The education and best practices that we heard made our implementation a very smooth process for all that were involved. Again I felt it was just what we needed to boost our confidence.
– April Little RN MSN LSSGB
The AvaSure Symposium was Awesome! The venue was beautiful and the conference was well organized and compelling. Presenters were passionate about the Telesitter program and the impact it has on patient safety. Poster Sessions were informative and evidence based. The extra-curricular activities were fun and entertaining, the museum, the carousel, ArtPrize, and breweries were all great experiences. Overall, it was great learning and perfect timing for UNMH to implement the program in October. AvaSure has been extremely supportive with expert advice and kindness. I’m looking forward to the 2nd annual Symposium : )
– Cindy Quintana MSN BSN RN PCCN-K